The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University has been established by the Government of Tamil Nadu under an act of the Legislative assembly. This affiliating University started functioning from July 1988 and is governed by the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai, Act, 1987.
The varsity is situated in Southern part of the City of Chennai in the State of Tamil Nadu, South India. It is about 6 Km from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12km from the Chennai Central Railway Station.
Dr.M.G.R.Medical University is a premier Medical Universality of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, late Dr.M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University of our country.
The university has the power to grant affiliation to new medical and paramedical colleges (government or self financing) in the state of Tamil Nadu; it also awards degrees (until 1988, all degrees of Health Sciences were awarded by the University of Madras) to the successful candidates.
Besides, medical and paramedical courses, the University also regulates dental education in the state. It also regulates education in the Indian systems of medicine including Ayurveda, Siddha etc. The University also promotes research and development in the field of medical sciences and allied fields.
The main Objectives of the University are:
- To maintain uniform standards of high quality medical education throughout the state of Tamil Nadu.
- To provide for instructions and training in such branches of learning as it may determine in the field of medical sciences.
- To institute degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions.
- To institute lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts required by the university and to appoint persons to such lectureships, readerships, professorships and other teaching posts.
- To institute and award fellowships, scholarships, studentships, exhibitions, medals and prizes in accordance with the status.
- To institute research posts and to appoint persons in such posts.
- To organise advanced studies and research programs from time to time.
- To develop research facilities and to provide for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the field of medical sciences.
- To provide for continuing medical education.
- To establish, maintain and manage institutions of research, university colleges, departments and laboratories.
- To encourage co-operation among the colleges, laboratories, hospitals and institutions in the university area and to co-ordinate with other universities and other authorities in such manner and for such purposes as the university may determine
Dear sir, Have a nice day.I am from rangoon,burma.I am burmese indian doctor.I have M.B.,B.S Degree and 5 yrs experiences of general practice. I want to get M.D in general medicine .Do you have any help in oversea indians community.
- Comment #1